Wednesday 2 January 2008

Rufus Wainwright - "Release the Stars" live

Who else could get away with wearing lederhosen?


Rufus has tried all of our patience, I'm sure even he would agree. But the man is so fearless, both sartorially and musically (and lyrically) that we can forgive almost anything. Even lederhosen.

This is the title track from Rufus' fifth album, Release the Stars, which came out in 2007. I wasn't absolutely in love with it, but Rufus is opening up his voice more, and the song is loaded with great craft, solid humor, and intelligence. Can't have too much of those...and I just love people who go for it. Camp is back?

In any case, tonight I have found myself gravitating to videos of my favorite work this year - Springsteen and Arcade Fire and Radiohead etc, so I'm going to go with that for the next few posts. The video above is another.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love "Release the Stars" and his new album "Rufus Does Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall" is brilliant!