Wednesday 2 January 2008

John Fogerty on Letterman

I haven't been a real fan of a John Fogerty album since about 1971 - and that includes the current "Revival," which several people I know put in their top 10s - but his appearance on Letterman had the fire that his too-perfect recordings (and less-than-perfect songs) of recent vintage often lack. Give credit to the great Kenny Aronoff on drums...



And don't forget to check out the prior blog postings I've done tonight. They're just of some stuff I want to share from the last year, from Radiohead to "Once" to The Shins, and Arcade Fire playing with everyone! Scroll down, click and enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, Barton, this is why you are the music critic and I'm a PR hack: I've been trying for years to explain what I find less than satisfying about Fogerty's post-Creedence music, but you nailed it: too-perfect recordings and less-than-perfect songs. And singling out Aronoff on the Letterman performance is spot-on - part of the problem with John's too-perfect recordings is that he has too often insisted in playing all the instruments himselves. Like McCartney, he doesn't realize that individual virtuosity can't match the feel of group members playing off each other. (That said, I love "Revival" -- about half of it anyway, and that's as much as I can say about any album these days.)