Saturday 5 January 2008

Iggy rows Dinah's boat...

OK, so it's a wet cold day, and I don't want to work. So I'm cruising YouTube like nearly everyone else. And I've found some cool stuff. What I like best is the older, rare stuff you've never seen - or saw, and totally forgot about. I got stuck on Pink Floyd for awhile, and now I'm on Iggy. Especially Iggy at his peak, 1977, when I was absolutely absorbed in the guy, and his partner in crime, David Bowie. Here's a video of Iggy in '77, doing the song that probably still pays his rent, and then some. Back then, it was just a great, relatively undiscovered song.



Iggy Pop was IT for some of us back in the mid-'70s...and this interview shows why. The guy was always surprising, and always as charming as he was savage. Here's an interview with him on French TV in 1977, the year he and Bowie recorded and released The Idiot and Lust for Life. The only albums that were more important to me that year were the pair recorded by Bowie and Eno, Low and 'Heroes,' and the album that Iggy made possible by his inspiration,
Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols!



God love Iggy - this is for Mikey - Here he is on Dinah Shore's show in 1977, with his band in the back ground - the keyboardist cracking up at Iggy's directness with a shocked Shore is David Bowie. This was Iggy's ostensible peak, and he's all the way charming. Unfortunately, the clip ends with the introduction of "Sister Midnight," but if I find that, I'll post it, too. In the meantime, great Iggy!

No comments: