Friday 23 May 2008

Counting Crows "Cowboys" live

I haven't heard all of the Counting Crows' first new album in six years, hailed as a comeback of sorts, but they've always been pretty great. The first two albums were the best, of course, the next two tread water, but often beautifully and energetically and sincerely. And that's doubly true of "Cowboys" from the new "Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings."

Here's a good clip, though the sound is low. Turn it up. But you can really hear all the instruments so clearly, they work so well together, and drive so hard, it's impressive. And they give the too-often-mocked Adam Duritz room to act out lines like "This is a list of what I should have been/But I'm not..." and "Look at me/Or I am not anything" - that's pretty raw stuff, whether you like his faux-dreads or not.

No comments: